Pre-order now. Available approx. Late May/early June
+Free leather case worth 149 CHF for pre-order.
The Future of Analog Sound - SE300
A&futura by Astell&Kern is a product line that represents Astell&Kern's relentless pursuit of innovation. SE300, the fourth model in the A&futura range, is a premium digital audio player that inherits this identity and expands the sound range with a completely newly implemented technology.
The A&futura SE300 features an ultra-refined R-2R DAC, Class A/AB dual amps developed with our proprietary TERATON ALPHA technology and, for the first time, a proprietary FPGA-optimized technology . With these unsurpassed components, it offers the true sound philosophy and technology of Astell&Kern.
Immerse yourself in the true analog sound that the SE300 produces with Class-A AMP and R-2R DAC technologies, for the first time in an Astell&Kern player.
- Fully discrete 24-bit R-2R DAC
- Equipped with 96 ultra-precise 0.01% & TCR10 resistors
- New Dual AMP (class A/AB) mode
- Option for OS/NOS modes
- Implemented, self-developed and optimized FPGA technology
New Crimson theme UI/UX
- Supports Bluetooth 5. 0 and wireless Hi-Fi
- aptX™ HD, LDAC
Fully discrete 24bit R-2R DAC
To ensure that the A&futura SE300 audio player better reproduces analog sounds, we combined the DAC and AMP sections for the first time in the first design phase.
The SE300 comes with an R-2R DAC instead of a Delta-Sigma DAC used in most other audio players. Also known as a Ladder DAC because it arranges resistors in a ladder shape, the R-2R DAC offers a natural yet dynamic Hi-Fi sound, but is extremely technically demanding and difficult to execute due to the complex, sophisticated resistor units it uses and requires difficult-to-use current regulators.
Despite these technical challenges, after several years of development and many attempts, we managed to overcome them and create a new analogue sound. We meticulously selected each of the 96 ultra-precise resistors and finalized our R-2R DAC technology.
The SE300 brings us one step closer to realizing analogue sound from a digital source and is the result of a long journey that Astell&Kern has undertaken with uncompromising craftsmanship to find the ultimate sound solution.
Realization of 24-bit decoding with the R-2R DAC
The R-2R DAC in the SE300 arranges 48 pairs (23xR and 25x2R) of 96 ultra-precision resistors to generate analog signals for true Hi-Fi 24-bit decoding.
Ultra-precision resistor design, the key to Hi-Fi sound
To produce Hi-Fi sound with an R-2R DAC, it is crucial to sum the exact current value with resistors that have the smallest margins of error. To achieve this, Astell&Kern tested each specially selected ultra-precision resistor with an error margin of 0.01% to complete the SE300 design.
Ultra precision TCR10 specifications
In order to produce Hi-Fi sound without distortion in such an extremely precise design, we analyzed and considered in advance all the potential effects that can be caused by temperature fluctuations. The SE300 comes with special *TCR10 specifications to minimize the changes in the 0.01% resistance error range.
* TCR10: 10ppm/℃ low temperature coefficient of resistance
Class A/AB dual AMP mode support
The SE300 features a Dual AMP mode. Class A amplification ensures low distortion and natural sounds, while Class AB amplification reproduces dynamic sounds with high efficiency. This allows the user to choose between the two amplifiers depending on their listening preferences and genre of music.
Experience the true sounds that only Astell&Kern can deliver with the SE300, equipped with an R-2R DAC and Class A/AB Dual AMPs that evolved from Astell&Kern's unique proprietary design, the reduces power consumption while increasing performance and removing noise.
Class A AMP mode
Class AB AMP mode
This achieves a dynamic and clear sound with less harmonic distortion.
2-stage gain mode for the perfect hi-fi experience
The SE300 supports a 2-stage gain level mode, which allows perfect adaptation to a wide range of headphones and IEMs and ensures optimal sound output.
Two-stage gain adjustment with "Normal" and "High Gain" modes can produce high output current to achieve powerful sound and excellent driver control.
With up to 6Vrms on the balanced connectors, driving high-impedance headphones has never been easier.
Normal Gain High Gain
Output Level Unbalanced 2Vrms Unbalanced 3Vrms
Output Level Balanced 4Vrms symmetric 6Vrms
* Based on the no-load condition, there may be differences depending on the measurement method.
TERATON ALPHA, The essence of A&K Audio Technologies
Without TERATON ALPHA's innovative audio technology, it would not have been possible to combine the exquisitely designed R-2R DAC with ultra-precise resistors and a Class A amp that was considered impossible to miniaturize. The SE300 is an innovative audio player equipped with the power and temperature control of TERATON ALPHA technology and an optimized FPGA design.
TERATON ALPHA is a unique technology from Astell&Kern that aims to provide faithful audio playback through effective noise reduction, efficient power management and unwavering amplification, as well as a fully transformed audio output interface.
The circuit structures of the R2R DAC and Dual A/AB AMP, debuting in the SE300, are complemented by the TERATON ALPHA sound solution, which produces the purest form of sounds and music.
Support for optimized FPGA OS / NOS modes
The SE300 is equipped with an FPGA developed exclusively by Astell&Kern and offers optimized OS / NOS modes.
The SE300 uses an FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) that we developed ourselves to optimize the design, instead of using conventional commercial semiconductor chipsets that pass digital signals through their algorithm to the R-2R DAC . Astell&Kern's FPGA, specially designed for the SE300, supports the ideal OS (Over Sampling) / NOS (Non-Over Sampling).
Enjoy the tonal styles reproduced by NOS and OS modes, carefully designed for the SE300's hardware and programs.
NOS (non-oversampling) mode
sounds decoded by the R-2R DAC itself.
OS (oversampling) mode
SE300 AUDIO BLOCK
New experience, new UI
The SE300 features a redesigned carmine-themed user interface, which transforms into a real "music player" that offers users an immersive listening experience.
The new UI/UX has been designed to allow users to quickly browse through music categories and rediscover songs in their music library.
We've also added an easy album art search feature so users can rediscover the joy of viewing and interacting with music albums while listening to their music.
The crimson theme focuses on edges, simplicity, and dark mode keywords. The black with red highlights color theme reduces visual fatigue and provides an intuitive user experience. In addition, many other improvements have been made to the usability of the device in terms of app service, artist view, album sorting and album cover search function.
Dive into the music with the new UI/UX.
Real-time information confirmed by light
Behind the A&futura SE300's exquisite volume wheel is an LED light reminiscent of rising waves. With the LED light emanating from inside the SE300, the user can check the bit depth information of the music being played or the current AMP mode.
* The LED can be turned on or off based on user preference.
Introduced 5.46-inch full HD display
Supports native DSD256, 32bit/384kHz
ReplayGain adjusts the playback volume automatically and evenly
AK File Drop for wireless transfers
Wireless Hi-Fi sound via BT Sink
LDAC and the LDAC logo are trademarks of Sony Corporation.
Our partners' Roon Ready network players already have Roon's high-resolution streaming technology integrated. They combine easy setup, everyday reliability, and support for the highest level of digital audio performance in the industry.
Every Roon Ready Player is certified by Roon to guarantee the same outstanding experience regardless of manufacturer, price and features.
* Roon Ready and MQA features will be supported through a firmware update.
The design concept for the A&futura SE300 is called "Stream".
Like ripples on water turning into crashing waves, we designed the SE300 with Class A AMP, the ultimate AMP shape, to give it a unique identity.
The aluminum main body has streamlined surfaces that represent the flow of the music. This allows us to create a solid yet flexible image. We've used contrasting materials like stainless steel and glass to reinforce the stream theme. In addition, the lower part of the device curves outwards, allowing for a more ergonomic grip when using the player.
The right side of the SE300 is coated with stainless steel to enhance visual focus. The polished side and triangular patterned volume wheel are key to creating bold and visually striking contrasts. The straight pattern on the back of the volume wheel increases visual density, allowing the user to control the volume and visually check the changes. The wheel light is placed behind the volume wheel to avoid direct exposure, while the light is reflected on the side decorations and knurling of the volume wheel, giving the impression that the light is emanating from within.
The base pattern features the Astell&Kern A logo designed to represent a general flow with size differences. The etched pattern enhances the sense of flow through the varying slopes, adding a sense of depth to the rectangular rear window that would otherwise look dull.
- Model SE300
- Case color platinum silver
- Housing material aluminum and stainless steel
- Display 5.46 inch HD 1080 x 1920 touchscreen
- Supported audio formats WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF
- Sampling rate PCM: 8kHz ~ 384kHz (8/16/24/32bits per sample)
- DSD : DSD64(1bit 2. 8MHz), Stereo / DSD128(1bit 5. 6MHz), Stereo / DSD256(1bit 11. 2MHz), Stereo
- Output Level [Normal] Unbalanced 2Vrms │ Balanced 4Vrms (no load condition)
- [High] Unbalanced 3Vrms │ Balanced 6Vrms (no load condition)
- CPU quad core
- DAC Full Discrete R-2R
- Decoding support up to 32bit / 384kHz playback
- Input USB Type-C input (for charging & PC & MAC)
- Outputs Unbalanced output (3.5mm), Optical output (3.5mm)
- Balanced output (2.5 mm, only 4-pin supported | 4.4 m, only 5-pin supported)
- Wi-Fi 802. 11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz)
- Bluetooth V5. 0 (A2DP, AVRCP, Qualcomm® aptX™ HD, LDAC)
- Dimensions 76.45 mm (3.01")[W] x 139.45 mm (5.49")[H] x 17.6 mm (0.69")[D]
- Weight About 317g (11. 18oz)
- Function extensions firmware upgrade supported (OTA)
- Operating Temperature 0℃~+40℃(32℉~104℉)
- Frequency response ±0. 038dB (Condition: 20Hz~20kHz) Unbalanced │Balanced
- ±0.45dB (Condition: 20Hz~70kHz) Unbalanced │Balanced
- S/N 114dB @ 1kHz, unbalanced │ 115dB @ 1kHz, balanced (normal gain)
- 115dB @ 1kHz, unbalanced │ 115dB @ 1kHz, balanced (high gain)
- Crosstalk -135dB @ 1kHz, unbalanced │ -144dB @ 1kHz, balanced
- THD+N 0.006% @ 1kHz, unbalanced │ 0.006% @ 1kHz, balanced
- IMD SMPTE 0.005% 800Hz 10kHz (4:1) Unbalanced │Balanced
- Output impedance Unbalanced output 3.5 mm (1.3 ohms) │ Balanced output 2.5 mm (1.3 ohms), 4.4 mm (1.3 ohms)
- Jitter 25pS (type)
- Reference clock jitter 500 femtoseconds
- Built-in memory 256GB [NAND]
- External memory microSD x1 (Max. 1TB)
- Capacity 5. 050mAh 3.8V Li-Polymer
- Loading time approx. 3.5 hours (9V 1.67A charge)
- Playback time approx. 12 hours (Default: FLAC, 16bit, 44. 1kHz, vol. 50, LCD off, normal gain)
Supported operating systems
- Windows 10.11(32/64bit) MAC OS X 10. 7